Monday, March 14, 2011

i got cracks in my pavement


you see, it is not just age or circumstance that wears a person down. sometimes it is just shoddy construction. From my time as a youngster, my construction has presented me with an unending procession of episodes to feed my excruciatingly real doubt and nurture my debilitating self-pity.
"jimmy," I thought I heard my first date (senior year high school) say, "I am pretty sure I have seen a person uglier than you, once, at a distance, but it may have been a opossum, but you know jimmy, what is most creepy about you is your sickly scrawniness. I think I could do much better."
I took her home immediately and could not even look her in the eye to say goodbye. It wasn't until a week later I found out (in an article she wrote for the school newspaper) that I misheard her.
Turns out what she actually said (and then wrote) was, "Sure, I am pretty and I have to say you're uglier than some butt. You know, jimmy, what is most creepy about you is your sickly scrawniness. I think I could do much better."

Armed with the clarification, I finished high school dateless.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment