Monday, March 21, 2011

Help me! Help me!

it depresses me to realize that i could not have written the screenplay for the movie "The Fly." I imagine i could have developed the plot to the pivotal visual scene where man's interference with God's architecture goes horrible awry in the teleportation device mix up, and the human body has a human-size fly head and the fly body has a fly-sized human head. And at that moment, "Whoa," I would have said internally. The corresponding body parts would not change size in any reality based teleportation device. That size melding doesn't just make sense with current teleportation science. Then it follows logically, it is not plausible that the human head would attach to a tiny fly-size fly body and be able to pump enough blood to keep the brain working, it would die almost instantly. And vise versa, for the fly-size fly head - blood from the human-size body would pump with such relative force that it would blow the tiny fly-sized head clean off the human neck stalk, and while that might provide very brief close-up/slo-motion visual excitement, i don't think that would have worked to elucidate my core film thesis. I would have scrapped the whole idea and a classic film would have died in my spiral-bound mausoleum. Is there a lesson to be gleaned? An even greater lesson about technological tampering in God's architecture? A lesson about a writer's lack of self-confidence? A belief in what can be, not in what appears to be? Fate? Plagiary? Probably with a lot more writing skill it could have been any of those; but, really this whole story was a vehicle for me to use the phrase "human neck stalk."

No comments:

Post a Comment