Thursday, March 12, 2015

go team!

I almost applied for a job washing cars at a car dealership in DeKalb, Illinois. I walked within eyesight the glass-paneled overhead door near the service department. They don't remember me there.  I never made it in.  I didn't try.  I wouldn't have gotten that job.  I don't have the calling.  I am passionless in the face of bubbles, a hose, and a sponge. I display the failing nearly every day. I know there is something wrong with me.  My high school football coach knew it too.  For that one long half-day of freshman practice before I quit the team - coach saw it, he smelled it, he endured it and me...I made him sad, inside.  When I turned in my helmet and pads, I didn't smile, but only because I was still there. The story doesn't really have a clear happy ending to job hunting or football.  I walked back to my apartment, temporarily jobless, and I took up tennis.  My guess is that coach is still sad, inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment